Our Flight Attendants are the face of Air Nelson, a subsidiary of Air New Zealand, representing our airline throughout the country. We pride ourselves on providing customers with an exceptional service experience from the moment they step on board to the time they depart the aircraft.
We select sole charge Flight Attendants to provide customers with exceptional and friendly inflight service for an enjoyable and safe journey.
Recruitment is conducted according to growth and operational needs. If you are interested in a career as a Flight Attendant with Air Nelson please register your profile on the Air New Zealand Careers Website: https://careers.airnz.co.nz. When we advertise for a Flight Attendant ground course you will then be sent a job alert email if it matches your profile.
Flight Attendants are based in Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, New Plymouth, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch. Successful applicants may be appointed to any one of these bases.
Hours of Work
Flight Attendants work on a monthly roster and can be busy with hours varying from day to day. Flight Attendants may be rostered for flights, overnights or standby duties on any day of the week including Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. Hours of work do not exceed Civil Aviation Safety Order maximums.
Our Flight Attendant Training Programme consists of a three week ground course in Nelson covering emergency equipment procedures and survival, aviation medicine, hygiene and sanitation, first aid, passenger handling, public speaking and grooming. There are three exams in which the applicant must obtain an 80% pass rate plus two 30 minute exams for a 70% pass.
After successful completion of the ground course and once offered a position, the trainee will start the inflight phase of his/her training. This will consist of a series of flights with a Training Flight Attendant in which the trainee will be instructed in all facets of inflight safety and service. The trainee will have a Line Check at the end of this stage.
During the first six months the trainee will be checked and assessed on all aspects of the work both on the ground and in the air. At the end of this period performance will be reviewed with a six month check.
A full uniform is provided for Flight Attendants. Alterations, dry cleaning and general uniform maintenance will be paid for by the company either outright or on a claim back basis.
There is strong competition for the vacancies which become available. When recruiting we are looking for people who enjoy interacting with other people.
As the position is one of service to customers, it is desirable that an applicant have some experience in a customer service role. A potential recruit must be someone who is flexible, resilient and able to easily adjust to sudden change. You must have excellent organisational skills and be well groomed and well spoken. An overall professional package.
Most of our staff have been employed in customer service orientated roles before submitting their applications.
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined below:
- A minimum qualification of three years secondary education. School Certificate/NCEA is desirable but not an essential requirement
- New Zealand Residency at the time of applying. Only permanent New Zealand residents will be considered
- Applicants must be able to reach overhead emergency equipment and this will be specifically tested. For safety reasons the acceptable height range is 160 cm to 185cm
- Good health is essential and all successful applicants will be subject to a full medical examination prior to employment
- Your unaided vision must be sufficient for you to perform all Flight Attendant safety related duties in an emergency. If you wear glasses or contact lenses you must obtain an optometrist report stating the quality of your unaided vision
- Prospective employees under-go Aviation Security Clearance and police checks as part of the application process
- Applicants must hold a current First Aid Certificate with accredited NZQA 6400, 26551 and 26552 issued by The Order of St John or Red Cross. The Certificate must be valid for at least 12 months
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate their ability to swim competently, unaided